Skip to main content

Featured

Binge, Stream or Skip? Drama Review // Ghost Doctor 《고스트 닥터》

   You can watch the trailer above or start watching  episode one here on Netflix . Warning! Spoilers ahead. I don't even remember the exact reason why I clicked on this show but I am sure glad that I did. The last time I watched Rain star in a drama would be Full House (that's like close to 20 years ago, gosh!) whereas I am more up-to-date with Kim Beom's dramas, the last being Law School. Not gonna lie but after watching the trailer, I actually held a bit of expectations for this series and I have to say, they delivered! Let's skip all the fluff and I'll go straight down to dissect why I think this series is bingeable in the sections below. Synopsis (taken from AsianWiki): Cha Young-Min (Rain) is a genius doctor, but he is arrogant and selfish. One day, he gets involved in an unexpected case. Due to the unexpected case, his spirit possesses another doctor's body. These two doctors are complete opposites, with opposite personalities and medical abilities. The

Binge, Stream or Skip? Drama Review // Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo 《달의 연인 - 보보경심 려》

 

You can watch the trailer above or start watching episode one here.

Warning! Spoilers ahead.

Okay okay, I know. I hopped on this bandwagon too late. Usually when a drama receives a lot of hype, I tend to stay away from it because the hype creates expectations and expectations may turn into disappointment if I feel that the drama falls short of the hype, like Squid Game, for example. However, this case was slightly different. I love Lee Joon Gi, and I've heard a lot of praises for IU's acting skills as well. But I've watched the original Scarlet Heart (Chinese drama) not too long before the Korean remake came out. It was still so fresh in my mind. Hence, not to ruin a Lee Joon Ki drama for myself, I stayed away it until I feel that I am ready to watch it. And by ready, means that I wouldn't compare every darn detail between the Chinese and Korean versions. Honestly I could still remember quite a number of scenes from the Chinese version till date, especially the ending. Just thinking about it my heart aches. Gosh. But I'm ready. I'm ready to watch this Korean remake with a somewhat fresh take so first up, the verdict for this is, bingeable. They've changed quite a number of things from the Chinese version so I ended up watching it like as if it is an entirely different drama on its own.

Synopsis: (taken from imdb)

When a total eclipse of the sun took place, a 21st century woman, is transported back in time to the Goryeo Dynasty of Korea, in the body of 16-year-old girl. There she witnesses love, rivalry, politics, and friendships ensue between the handsome princes, in a fight for the throne, friendship, and love.


What I like about this drama:

I thought the pace was good. Generally there wasn't much scenes that dragged out too much that made me want to hit that x2 speed button.

Your eyes will be in for a feast. They've really casted a lot of good looking men to play the role of the princes. Not just that, but the princes in the drama all have quite a different personality so you will definitely be able to find a prince to root for, if not the male lead (ML), fourth prince, played by Lee Joon Gi.

The soundtrack, of course. But the OST has somewhat of a modern feel that it kind of differs slightly from how the main tracks of other periodic dramas usually are. Not a bad thing, just saying. Particularly the ending song sang by EXO-Chen, Baekhyun, Xiumin. I LOVE the song, but just thinking it sounds too modern for a periodic drama. Nevertheless, still love it.


Who I like in this drama:

Of course, the ML. Totally my type. Not just in terms of Lee Joon Gi's looks, but the fourth prince personality too. Cold towards everyone else on the outside but is actually a warm person on the inside, he just doesn't know how to show it properly. And along came the love of his life whom he puts on a pedestal, totally different level with everyone. I would feel so special.

And then, there is Nam Joo Hyuk. His role here isn't that big so there isn't much scenes. At least to me, he doesn't have much scenes. So there isn't enough scenes of him for me. I need more!!! How can he be so good looking, regardless in short hair or long hair, in modern outfits or traditional outfits. It's so unfair! But good for my eyes. Hurhur.

I actually like the general and his daughter too.

Then there's a special shoutout to Baekhyun's acting. And I also have to say that IU's acting skills met my expectations, given all the praises I've heard about her. She is undeniably one of the best actress from the "idol" line. She deserves the praises, I'll give her that.


What I don't like about this drama:

Can't think of anything. Not that this drama has zero flaws or anything, but there is nothing serious to point out. I'm just sad that they killed off so many of the princes, but then again it was in the original novel. I already knew this was gonna be sad to begin with, so...


Who I don't like (or possibly even dislike) in this drama:

Woo Hee. I seriously don't get the point of this character and I don't understand her death either. I think I actually hate this character more than all the antagonists combined.


Other notes:

-


Comments

Popular Posts