Featured

Binge, Stream or Skip? Drama Review // Ghost Doctor 《고스트 닥터》

  

You can watch the trailer above or start watching episode one here on Netflix.

Warning! Spoilers ahead.

I don't even remember the exact reason why I clicked on this show but I am sure glad that I did. The last time I watched Rain star in a drama would be Full House (that's like close to 20 years ago, gosh!) whereas I am more up-to-date with Kim Beom's dramas, the last being Law School. Not gonna lie but after watching the trailer, I actually held a bit of expectations for this series and I have to say, they delivered! Let's skip all the fluff and I'll go straight down to dissect why I think this series is bingeable in the sections below.


Synopsis (taken from AsianWiki):

Cha Young-Min (Rain) is a genius doctor, but he is arrogant and selfish. One day, he gets involved in an unexpected case. Due to the unexpected case, his spirit possesses another doctor's body. These two doctors are complete opposites, with opposite personalities and medical abilities.


The Great:

The character development. Or should I say, characters. In most shows, they only mostly only develop the main characters. Some worse, there's a lack of it altogether. But in this show, you get to see a lot of the characters growing, of course the main two characters portrayed by Rain and Kim Beom goes through the most drastic changes but generally, a lot other characters grow together as the series progress. But of course, then there will always still be characters whose spots just never change.

The show is a good mix of comedy, feel-good, suspense and I would even say mystery, topped with just a little squeeze on romance. It made me laugh quite a bit at the start, sometimes I even cringe, but a good cringe, and surprisingly, it manages to stay that way till the end. There are so many shows that started off looking promising, only to fail to deliver mid-way onwards. **cough** Extraordinary Attorney Woo **cough** Ghost Doctor is not one of those.


The Good:

Minimal on the romance. Not saying that romance tropes are a bad thing, but when it comes to shows like these where is is heavily centered around the medical/doctor trope, I don't like having love stories mixed up in it. I want to feel the thrill of them going through each and every different case in each episode, the suspense of whether they will be able to ultimately save the patient, you get my point. If I wanted fluff, I would have gone on to click on a romance drama.


The Bad:

I can't think of anything. But if I have to name one thing, it would be that the drama is to short! I need more episodes!


The Ugly:

-


Other notes:

-

Comments

Popular Posts