Skip to main content

Featured

Binge, Stream or Skip? Drama Review // Ghost Doctor 《고스트 닥터》

   You can watch the trailer above or start watching  episode one here on Netflix . Warning! Spoilers ahead. I don't even remember the exact reason why I clicked on this show but I am sure glad that I did. The last time I watched Rain star in a drama would be Full House (that's like close to 20 years ago, gosh!) whereas I am more up-to-date with Kim Beom's dramas, the last being Law School. Not gonna lie but after watching the trailer, I actually held a bit of expectations for this series and I have to say, they delivered! Let's skip all the fluff and I'll go straight down to dissect why I think this series is bingeable in the sections below. Synopsis (taken from AsianWiki): Cha Young-Min (Rain) is a genius doctor, but he is arrogant and selfish. One day, he gets involved in an unexpected case. Due to the unexpected case, his spirit possesses another doctor's body. These two doctors are complete opposites, with opposite personalities and medical abilities. The

Binge, Stream or Skip? Drama Review // Entertainer 《딴따라》

 

You can watch the trailer above or start watching episode one here.

Warning! Spoilers ahead.

Fourth Ji Sung drama in a row! If you've seen my posts in chronological order, you would realise that Devil Judge wasn't satisfying enough that I went back to an older drama Doctor John then couldn't get enough of Ji Sung that I went on to watch Familiar Wife and now finally, I assure you, the last drama in this Ji Sung marathon (for now!). Straight up, I give you the verdict for this is, streamable. Besides, this might be a selling point for the eight years younger version of me. Although not a selling point for the now me, but it would certainly interest many K-pop fans since we have Kang Min Hyuk (CN Blue) and Lee Hye Ri (Girl's Day) as the main roles of this drama. Alongside Ji Sung of course!


Synopsis:

Shin Suk Ho (played by Ji Sung) works for KTop Entertainment, a leading company in the industry, decided to quit and form his own company. While doing so, he will also take the company's top selling male boy group, Jackson, along with him. However, he was faced with setbacks and his plans went awry. Until he went to Busan, and met Ha Neul, an aspiring singer with his own sets of problems. Suk Ho then convinces Ha Neul to join him in the journey to reach the peak of the industry.


What I like about this drama:

Music drama? Is there a genre for this? Generally I quite like dramas where there are singers/bands/etc in it, because the songs are mostly, if not always, nice. While a lot of dramas that I have watched recently have great OSTs that are very suitable for the drama, but it is a different vibe to have a suitable OST that is sung by the "singer/band" in the drama.

Ji Sung.

Kang Min Hyuk.

Ji Sung.

Kang Min Hyuk.

L.Joe (new found discovery OwO)

This drama is somewhat quite light-hearted, in my opinion. Despite certain topics surfacing, like sexual harassment, but it is a mere part of the plot, and it doesn't dive deep into such topics. For most parts, it is like a homely group of boys just working hard to try to achieve their dreams.


Who I like in this drama:

As much as I want to say the male lead (ML), Shin Suk Ho, played by Ji Sung is my favourite, L.Joe stole the limelight. I knew of Teentop back then when they were super active and I also heard of this name before. But only now do I realise why he is probably, one of, if not the most, popular member in the group? HE IS SO CUTE? Also his character in the drama is the kind of guy that I could very much appreciate - gentle for most parts but a whole different person when playing the drums on stage.

Of course I still like the ML although he wasn't my favourite character here. There's also Ha Neul, played by Kang Min Hyuk of CN Blue. I think his acting skills greatly improved? Or was he always this good at crying? The last time I saw him in a drama was You're Beautiful, and in that drama he was more like L.Joe's role in this drama. This time, he played a role that has so much variation in emotions and I thought he pulled it off well. I'm impressed.


What I don't like about this drama:

Can't think of anything. Not sure if it is because I wasn't expecting much from this drama in the first place. But then again, the genre for this drama doesn't make me anticipate much I guess? It's like a feel-good kind of drama, I suppose, that you watch purely for entertainment to pass time, or to watch for more Ji Sung. Or whichever other idol you support.


Who I don't like (or possibly even dislike) in this drama:

The bad guys are annoying for sure, but that's their part in the show, so I don't dislike them for it. Rather, there were times when I fluctuated between + and - for Hyeri's (Girl's Day) character, Geu Rin.

Examples:

(+) She didn't soften her heart when Lee Ji Young's mother came to beg them to take mercy on her daughter.

(-) She didn't have friends when she went back to pursue her undergraduate studies. Then she used Ha Neul to show off their close relationship to get "friends". So disappointed when she actually started hanging out with despite knowing that they only wanted to get close to her because they were fans of the band.


Other notes:

-


Comments

Popular Posts